Project Management Essentials
Project Management Essentials / get udemy coupon code
What you'll learn
- What project management fundamentally does, and the domains it applies to.
- The five stages of the formal project management process, their essential features, and how they fit together.
- The most important concept in project management – the triple constraint, its key messages, and how they inter-relate.
- The role of the Project Manager, key responsibilities, and why accountability is a good thing.
- The purpose of project initiation, and the key elements of the project charter.
- The importance of the first definition of the project scope – the one sentence objective.
- A one-page flowchart of the whole planning process, setting up your project for success.
- The official baseline for the project scope – the work breakdown structure.
- The precedence diagram – your most important tool for planning, communicating, and managing your project.
- The official baseline for the project schedule – the Gantt chart.
- The essential elements of the project cost breakdown.
- The importance of planning for the unexpected – risk management planning.
- Documenting the planning in a concise project management plan for sponsor review.
- The purpose and key elements of the monitoring and control phase.
Complexity is the challenge in project management. Therefore, simplicity and practicality must be the solution.
Based on more than 25 years of experience with practical implementation of the formal Project Management Institute (PMI) process, this crash course gives you the essential information you need to understand what project management does, how it flows across the life-cycle, and the key steps you need to take to make your project successful.
William Stewart is a Project Management Institute certified Project Management Professional (PMP), has managed projects from $250K to $55M using the PMI processes, and served in senior management roles on projects up to $3B. He has worked for large corporations, government, academia, and founded a software startup. He has hands-on experience with project management, risk management, systems integration, and software engineering. He earned a Ph.D. in computer science for discovery of an algorithm that creates geodesic domes in multiple dimensions in optimum space and time. He lives in Ottawa, Canada with his wife and two children.